Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Wing skins

Saturday I got into the hanger again and started putting on the skins.  I had done some reading of other people's build logs and was surprised to find out that most people didn't worry about the twist in the rear spar.  The prepunched skins work to get out the twist and according to Vans you don't need to do anything else.  Sounds iffy, so here is what I did.

I clecoed on the top skins.  Instead of doing every fourth hole, I did every other hole with very few exceptions.  Luckily I had ordered another 200 clecos.  Unluckily, this wasn't enough still.  Once the top skins were on, I moved to the back and started installing those, clecoing every fourth hole.

Top skins, every other hole.
 Bottom skins, every fourth hole.  Notice I ran out of clecos on the outter, bottom skin.  I have since ordered an additional 300 clecos....  I'm supposedly at 850 once those arrive.  Vans suggested having 350 as the necessary amount...

So with the skins on the top clecoed every other hole, and the skins on the back every fourth hole along both spars, and every fourth hole on the ribs on the root side, I hung plumb bobs on either end, and measured the distance between the line and the rear spar.  Imagine my surprise when I was within two millimeters.

I had a friend come out who is an engineer to take a second look at it.  He measured three millimeters.  I still need to contact Vans before I sign off on this and start match drilling.

In the meantime, however, I put the leading edge back up!


There are a lot of clecos to be sure.  That also means I have a lot of drilling... and deburring.... and dimpling.... I will be busy to be sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment