Tuesday, July 20, 2010

New Headset

I have been looking for a new headset for a bit, but hesitated due to the cost.  I wasn't going to try and get any ANR (Active Noise Reduction) headsets because they were out of my price range.  I was thinking I'd get a set of David Clarks due to their customer service and longevity. However, in discussing headsets with my instructor, he told me about a student of his that had a sweet setup for his Bose QC15 headset.  As my parents had purchased a pair of the original Quiet Comforts for me when I was flying to and from college, I was intrigued.   I had some wear and tear on my original Quiet Comforts, and had stopped at a Kiosk to inquire about repairs.  I was given the new QC2s (new at the time, this was some time ago) for the low low price of $50.

UFlyMike took the existing headphone jack inside the ear piece, and created a custom one that included a line for a microphone, the microphone, and aviation plugins.  Now the setup only works with the Bose QC15 and QC2, which is important. Also, to have a TSO'd headset, you have to have an ear bud inside the ear piece so that if the battery fails you can still hear.  But for just over $200 dollars, (or $500 if you don't have a set of Quiet Comforts) you can get a very light set of ANR headphones for the plane.  I went ahead and took the leap, and have been really happy with the sound quality!  The microphone clarity surprised me, but it was really nice to have the reduced engine noise.  Not relevant to the airplane build, but relevant to aviation.

No comments:

Post a Comment