Monday, July 5, 2010

Step 1... -ish...

Well I have all the tools I think I need right now, and I'm sure more will be added soon. I've begun the actual airplane now, having finished the practice tool kit and practice trim tab. I learned a lot from them, such as how to rivet, and more importantly, how not to rivet. They're ugly, and don't look good, but I learned from them.

But I won't. I started setting up the rear spare for the horizontal stabilizer. The first step requires you to "break" the rear spar reinforcement bars. This meant I spent a lot of time with a grinding wheel taking down the edges and rounding them out. I still need to round off the ends, which is a pain with a hand file, but I can't stomach a bench grinder at the moment.

From Drop Box

Here is the bench setup for working on the rear spar. Notice the neatness quickly disappeared.

Most of this step was match drilling holes for the entire length of the spar reinforcements, and also for the rear hinges.

From Drop Box

Here you can see the line of clecos. I understand why some people want the pneumatic cleco gun, but I'd rather just build up some strength and save money. I am quickly becoming ambidextrous with the cleco pliers though, as one arm will wear out quickly for the time.

I also primed the bearing for the rear linkage point for the elevator, and then riveted the hinges around the bearing once it was dry. These were the first six rivets driven for the actual airplane. I had to drill out one, but the rest went relatively well. Still need to pick up some more clamps to make my life easier though...

No comments:

Post a Comment