Thursday, April 7, 2011

Rear Spars, Wings

Tonight I put together the rear spars.  They had dried completely, so I assembled the left hand side.  I started by taking a sharpie and putting a line through any holes I was supposed to skip for now.  When I got to the two reinforcement plates, I switched and circled the holes that I could actually rivet because there were fewer of those.  For the rear spar fork reinforcement, I put clecos in all of the holes I wasn't allowed to rivet.  More on that in a bit.






Once all of the pieces were riveted on, I cleared off my work table and put the main spar down on the far side.  I started placing the ribs into the appropriate slots on the main spar, and then clecoed them in.  Then I started putting the rear spar on.  The first few ribs went fine, but then on the fourth one, I realized I had moved the clecos to help pull the pieces together a bit more, and had then riveted the empty holes on the very ends of the fork.  So this meant I had to drill them out.

Here you can see third from the left, riveted holes with sharpie marks across them.

I drilled out the first hole no sweat, it truly went just about perfectly (all things considering).  The second one didn't go as well.  Once it was out, I realized that not only had I riveted holes I wasn't supposed to, I had just removed one rivet that didn't need to be removed!  Obviously I was a bit excited.  I reriveted the hole, and drilled out the appropriate one, and continued down the wing.  Once all the ribs were attached at both ends, I took a few quick pictures, waited for the grin to subside, and found someone else in the hanger to show it to.


Next, I went down each end and match drilled all of the holes.  When I next go in, I'll be taking off the ribs, drilling out two holes for conduit on each rib, deburring all the recently drilled holes, and deburring the corners.  Then its to the clean/etch/prime booth.

No comments:

Post a Comment